Water disaster is one of the major causes of damage in homes in London. It can also cost you billions of dollars. However, it is possible to protect your home from any water damages. London leak detection specialists are always available to handle any water damages.
This article shares a few ways on how to evade water damage in your home.
How to protect your house from water damage
Insurance and cover policies
Each type of water damage is insured by a different policy. Insurance firms provide coverage for wind-driven rain, burst pipes, and ice dams found on the roof. Standard homeowner’s policy cover burst sprinklers and rainfall.
There are also drain and sewer backup policies. Water coming from the bottom-up is covered by a flood insurance policy. Having the best insurance policy is important for controlling water damage.
Understand and maintain indoor plumbing solutions
You can entrust a London leak detection specialist for maintaining all your plumbing solutions. This is done by;
- Inspecting tubs and showers: ensure that the caulking and seal around showers are watertight.
- Have an emergency pressure release valve: this prevents your pipes from bursting. It also protects you from increased pressure caused by frozen pipes.
- Check heating and plumbing pipes: lookout for leaks and cracks and have them repaired.
- Turn off the water supply to the washing machine: ensure that when on vacation, your machine is completely off.
- Locate the main water supply: it is important to know where the water shut-off valve is. This saves you time and money.
Invest in a water leak detection machine
Invest in an affordable device that will shut off the water supply in the occurrence of a leak.
Look out for areas with molds or moisture
If you notice a musty odor or feel cold when touching a wall, add additional insulation. Check skylights and windows for condensation.
Know the location of the stopcock
Ensure that every member of your family knows where to find the stopcock. Shutting off the water supply is equally important in preventing water damages.
Protect and repair the exterior of your home
Do not put all your energy towards protecting the inside of your home. The outside world also needs to be protected. You can achieve this by;
- Seal and caulk windows-this helps in guarding against water seepage.
- Installing gutter guards-it keeps water flowing and prevents gutter clogs away from your house.
- Check your irrigation system-this is to ensure that they are not causing any damages to the foundation and walls of your house.
- Inspecting your roof-make sure that the necessary repairs are done in case of any damages.
Preventing basement water seepage
You can prevent water seepage into your basement by;
- Installing a backwater valve-get these services from a London leak detection specialist. They will install and maintain the valve for you. Sewer backups can cause damage in some instances. The valve allows the sewage to go out but never back in.
- Resealing your basement- basement water is caused by cracks in floor slabs or building foundations. You can paint the vulnerable areas using water sealant to prevent water seepage.
- Ensuring the water drains away in case of a rainy day, ensure that all the water that can cause damage is drained away.
Protecting your possessions
In the occurrence of a water damage, it is your personal responsibility to take care of your property. This can be done through
- Keeping an updated home inventory-save yourself time and stress when water damage occurs by listing down all your possessions.
- Store belongings on shelves in the basement- here they are likely to be less damaged in case of water seepage.
- Use waterproof bins to store bulk belongings-do this in areas that have plumbing pipes and are prone to dampness. Such areas include attics and basements.
Purchase point of leaks water alarms
Water alarms are equally important in the prevention of water damages. Whenever water is detected in a certain area, an alarm is raised. It warns you of any upcoming water threat. These alarms are suitably placed in kitchens, bathrooms, laundry areas, or basements.
Check on faucets and hoses
Keep checking on your dishwasher, refrigerator, washing machine, or any other appliances you may have. This will help you in tracing any leaks that may occur.
Fixtures and appliances that cause water damages
In as much as these appliances are much needed in our homes, they can at times cause water damages. There is a need to get in touch with a London leak detection specialist in case of water damage. The most common ones include;
- Ice makers
- Washing machines
- Tubs and showers
- Water heaters
With all this information in mind, you can be able to avoid problems caused by water damages. You will save on your dollars and your time too. However, in the event of a water damage occurrence reach out to a professional plumber and you will be helped.